Saturday, August 23, 2014

Feeding the Hungry Lion

Every morning I wake up hungry. I am just one of those individuals who craves food all day long. I wish I was like my cousin who by the end of the day forgets she hasn't eaten and must remind herself to eat. Food is sustenance and a necessary part of living a healthy life, but only physically. What about our emotional and spiritual health?

Growing up in church I heard a popular phrase of Jesus' quoted over and over again. It was "Man cannot live by bread alone." I am surprised I did not understand what this very important and revolutionary phrase meant until today. It simply means we must also ingest a different type of food for our spirits. It is necessary to be healthy and safeguard against all the negative bombardments we receive day in and day out. 

Many of ya'll go to the gym first thing in the morning and work on your bodies to gain not just a body you are pleased with but also a body that is able protect you from common ailments or even allow you to fight off an attack by another person, God forbid.  In kind, I realized today that meditation, prayer, and reading the Bible (or other sources consisting of positive reinforcements) is just as necessary each day as our breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This spiritual food will allow the spirit to align with the physical and will fine tune our bodies to the optimum.

So today I started my day with prayer and meditation and a little food from the 103rd Psalms. Proverbs and Psalms in the Bible is a great place to start. It is pleasing and uplifting to read these prayers, songs, and sentiments, as well as giving you tools to get through your day.  Proverbs covers just about any obstacle one may have to endure in daily life. And if you aren't prone to the Bible as suggested here, that is ok. Find a book or author that is spiritually and emotionally uplifting to you. The important thing is "to eat!"

Enjoy your weekend and your new found path to spiritual and physical wellness.

God bless you my friends.

GC4JC ~ GBF

No comments: