Saturday, August 9, 2014

Divas Rise Up

Its Saturday night and there is no mistaking what the plans are for the evening. Its a past-time lasting twenty years now; barring an occasional hiatus. We are going to the club. The lights, sounds, beautiful people inside and out enjoying the dance God gave each of us; its just the best.

After several hours of dancing and saying hello to the girls and boys, I take a moment to look at my watch and its almost 2:30am. Time to take a break and freshin' up in the car or at a friends before we all head over to the after hours, or what many of us call "Sunday Church." What is "Sunday Church" you might ask? I'll simply say it is the time that many in and on the club circuit choose to call the early morning hours of club-life on the dance floor at any given party or after hours within our circuit community. Its a GOOD TIME!

I remember many moons ago I was at Backstreet Atlanta and while in the midst of the grandeur and total club perfection never to be revisited or experienced again as it was then, I strangely was aware that I was hearing someone telling me about Jesus. "No way, not in a club," I thought. But why is that idea so preposterous? I now realize there is more love on a dance floor than in many churches across America. However, I will also say that the love can sometimes be quite different based on the situation when dealing with non-professing folks.

"Bump, bump, bump, JESUS!" So there it is again. That gal wailing in this hot mix like DJ Abel spins at Alegria, just told me to "Rise Up and put my faith in Jesus." What? "He has to power to heal me." He does? "He is all I'll ever need." Wow. This is phenomenal to me being the son of a preacher man and a very [spiritual] Christian. I was speechless. Yet, I wondered how many of the 1000's dancing to this song really are understanding what Yves Larock, vocals to this track, is really trying to express. I understood the simplicity in it while also understanding the larger implications.

So suffice to say now that I am really paying attention to the lyrics in the music that is played throughout any given night and most certainly at a "Sunday Service" I discovered a few more note worthy examples to share today. "This Joy" by Yolanda Adams and sung by Vernessa Mitchell in a mix for the clubs is a diamond that most circuit and circuit music connoisseur's are well aware.

Joy picks me up and takes me through
It so real I´m telling you
So many trails I´ve endured
God has given me the cure
I have a joy, a joy that´s unspeakable
It soothes my doubts
When the way gets hard
Although, I lived in sin
He cleansed my heart
Now lives within
Saved my soul from a burning hell
Christ lives in me now

And one cannot leave out "Higher" also renowned by Vernessa Mitchell and on the Twilo compilation two-cd set by Junior Vasquez. This is definitely one of my favs.

Lastly, is what I feel is most recognizable and probably the mass favorite and crown jewel of all that is Gospel Circuit. That being "Unspeakable Joy" by Kim English.  Just take a quick look at a excerpt from the song:

People ask me why this supernatural high
Seeing only sun when there's a cloudy sky
I know the trouble tries to surround me
But I've been given something greater deep inside me

I did not get it from any old little man
And it's okay if they don't always understand
It's very easy to get caught in circumstance
It's even easier to break out in a dance

Joy, unspeakable joy
'Cause they did not give it, they cannot take it away
Joy, unspeakable joy
In my heart and I can't let them steal my Joy

So there ya have it. All this time some of you reading this may not even have known while you were dancing with friends or that hot dude you just met, the Word was being preached and His praise was being lifting high in your presence. How high? Just ask Vernessa.

God bless you all and may your "High" Psalms 61 always be full of  "Joy Unspeakable." 1 Peter 1:8

...and see ya at Sunday church.

GC4JC ~ GBF






No comments: